Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Unionbank of the Philippines Scam

I got an email today supposedly from UnionBank customer service warning me of a recent activity in my account and prompting me to update my account. The email look very legitimate with a "from" address as customer.service@unionbankph.com.

Click on the picture to enlarge

However, if you hover at the "Click to update" link, you will get a different URL which points to angpinoy.org. Angpinoy.org is a Davao-based site of Filipino Catholic professionals. A legitimate site.

If you eventually click on the "Click here for Update button", it will lead you to a site which may appear to be a very legitimate Unionbank site. However, the URL tells us that it isn't.

click here to see the legitimate URL of the Eon login and see the difference.
The IP address of the scam UPB site traces to Indonesia.Whew, I wonder how much could they scam from doing these things? Good business for them.

Be vigilant! If you are not a Unionbank account holder, do not click on the link, what's the point anyway. If you are a cardholder, always check the URL (web address) of the link you are clicking on to check if it is a legitimate one. Better yet, if you really think your account has been compromised, go directly to the web page of your bank then sign in from there.

Don't worry, simply opening the email doesn't put your account at risk. Clicking the link and much more signing in to the scam page is.

UPDATE: The site has been closed for
web forgery already!


10 comments:

Anacalang

i got mine last night. Mabuti na lang, ugali ko nang basahin at i-check ang address bar at task bar. Pero kahit alam kong fake nag-try akong maglog-in (didn't use my real uname & password of course),and this is what inside. Kaya lang paano yung iba. Sana basahin nila 'to -- NBI warns against phising syndicates

Anonymous

OMG! I am a UnionBank account holder and I usually do my transactions online!
Thank you for the information.

I AM

thanks anacalang for the further info, grabe it looks so true even inside that those who are unaware of will really fall prey to their criminal activities. i tried searching for online news on this pero wala ako makita. thanks for the link about the nbi warnings.

Anacalang

No problem ma'm.. galit po kasi ako sa mga taong ganito ang gawain. I hope maraming makabasa nitong blog nyo. Nag-post na rin po ako sa Neobux community namin at iba pang forum linking to your site para maraming makapag-ingat.

I AM

thanks anacalang, God bless!

Steve Crisologo

Dear Mommy Kate,

This is Steve Crisologo, webmaster for Unionbankph.com. Thank you for warning your readers about the possibility of online scams. We make it a point to keep our online banking users safe; and with these kinds of deceptive phishing pages, you do need to be vigilant and make sure that you are transacting at legitimate UnionBank pages (or your respective bank's site). It's a community effort. Internet Explorer and Firefox have tools to allow you to report these kinds of pages so that they can get blocked immediately and not trick other users.

You can also visit our Safe Surfing Guide for additional tips on transacting safely online:


http://www.unionbankph.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1083&Itemid=472


Thank you for spreading the word and helping us keep the web safe.

Very truly yours,

Steve Crisologo

I AM

You're welcome Steve. I think the site is blocked already. Somebody reported it, not me. Thanks for reminding me about the Firefox features that would allow us users to report phishing sites. I have forgotten about it already hehehe.

BG

I would not use Unionbank at all, it seems they have their own scamming system.
We have been informed about just such a case a young woman goes to a ATM machine to withdraw money from her Unionbank account for food, the machine does not pay out but it still deducts the amount from her account, so she reports it to Unionbank only to be informed it will take them between 3 to 15 days to even look into it. In that time the woman goes hungry, what if it was her rent money she was withdrawing and Unionbank takes 15 days to look into it, by that time she has been evicted from her house and living on the streets.
It is theft and there is no doubt about it, they have taken her money and are refusing to let her have it.

I AM

Hi BG, sadly that could happen to any bank's atm. I agree with you that the turn-around time for issues like this to be resolved takes longer than usual and it's sometimes pathetic and irritating especially for someone in dire need of cash. I don't bank with Unionbank also but I used to work with them and I am familiar with how the reconciliation of atm discrepancies work. By now, the atm machines and bank system are more intelligent (or the people who program it are) that such case of "no cash dispense" is automatically reversed after 3 days or even less. There are although cases where this takes a manual job that's why they would normally tell you it will take 3-15 days. I am not in defense of how our banking system works, it just sucks, I know. If it happens to me and I am into a situation that I badly need the cash, I'd ram the bank's doors and personnel so that they'd take action immediately. And they do, I promise they will if one files a complaint and you insist on an urgent resolution. That happened to me at BPI and Security Bank. Sigh!

I AM

okay thanks for the link.

Blogger template 'CoolingFall' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008