Friday, July 24, 2009

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Aside from my sleep debt problem, another major medical issue I have had longer than I could remember is my CTS or Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

CTS is condition wherein the median nerve which runs from the forearm to the hand is compressed at the wrist. The carpal tunnel is the passageway where this median nerve runs through. An irritation of the ligaments, tendons or bones at the carpal tunnel squeezes the median nerve which causes numbness, tingling sensation and in extreme cases, pain.

In 2001, five years after working in a bank and just barely two years after I gave birth to Joshua, now 10, I started to feel what I would describe in the Filipino lingo, "PASMO or PASMA". My fingers started to get numb and got worsed overtime. The numbness would extend to the forearm and my upper back. One night I woke up and couldn't feel anything on my right hand. I couldn't lift it and I thought I got paralyzed. I shouted to my sister for help and had cried hard because aside from the pain I felt, I had no idea what was happening then.

I consulted a doctor who diagnosed me of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. I had undergone an electrodiagnostic test also which showed the CTS more prominent on the right hand but also present on the left.

I couldn't remember the number of times my mom scolded and blamed me for this condition. She said it was because I never listened to her when she warned me during my youth, not to overwork my hand.

"Pasma", a distinct Filipino illness marked by numbness, pain and tremors of the hands is so similar to CTS that I think people who have "pasma" may have CTS in reality and just don't realize it.

Treatments suggested for CTS include physical therapy and neuro-surgery, both I don't want to undertake because of the cost. In the surgery procedure, the transverse carpal ligament as shown in the picture below is cut to widen the passage and release the tension.

Recently, after moving to Singapore, my CTS had worsened. I inquired about the cost of surgery to check if there is a way I can afford it. One clinic responded that a micro-surgery which is more effective costs $4,500.00 or P145,000.00. My gosh, I could get about 500 hand massage and paraffin treatment with that amount. Worst, many articles over the net doesn't suggest surgery because there is no guarantee that CTS will not recur.

For now, my only option is to keep my hands rested (not possible, I know) and get regular hand massage (not very possible also).

Wait a minute, I gotta shake my hands, I have been on the computer for over three hours already.

1 comments:

daBinsi

are you excercising? i think you should. mag sugod na tingali ka ug walking Kat! nanambok na baya ka. im afraid to gain weight kay naa jud kuy bation everytime i gained weight, or just maybe my hypochondriac. hadlokanon kaayo ko mag daut. but im not scared to die... (mental illness na ni) hahahha

Anyhow, i think you should start walking. remember nag start na lately na. kay ug pasmo hisgutan, ginoo! napasmo na unta ming duha diri ug trabaho dayun basa sa tiil ug kamot! NOPE it never did happen, maligo man gani me right after hard workout and flooding sweat after working. Wa man Pasmo!

Dont go surgery yet kay it is not the only solution for that. WALK then keep exercising. akong suspect is your karpal muscles or nerves are deprived from good blood circulation. Or maybe not. buy a TENS muscle stimulator. Search it online, naa man mi TENS kay para ni Mike, sometimes mogamit sad ko. We never take any pills here, we do homeopathic therapy most of the time. So take it easy, search for TENS and buy it.

And, start to live healthy...eat lots of veggies more fish not rice and less meat.

Blogger template 'CoolingFall' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008